Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Fireflies

The other night we went out to catch fireflies. I'm sure people thought we were crazy. It had just rained and I had my kids out running around in their footy pajama's (it was hot, but the kids begged to wear them) yelling at them, "don't step on the grass!" We were a little crazy, but it was so much fun!! The kids loved it (except Fox who screamed the whole time-he was tired- which didn't help our crazy cause :)) So here's some pictures of our first firefly catching session.
Looking for fireflies
They've spotted one
Liam blowing (?) on the jar. (Yes we used a pickle jar...because we are cool like that)
Tony and the kids looking. (Notice the bush- Our neighbors decided to have a small party and get wasted and then decorate the bush with the beer cans. It's like a redneck christmas tree...totally AWESOME!! Tony wanted me to call and complain so our landlord people would come clean it up. I said no, I like the awesome decorations. So they still sit there glistening in the sun.)
Excited Emma

Tony, master firefly catcher! At least that's what we call him.
Liam even caught some!
Our friends, the fireflies. :)
Here's a video of the kids trying to catch them. For those of you who have never seen fireflies (aka my siblings :)) look for the tiny flashes of green light. You can see a couple of them in this video. :)

3 comments:

Lisa Summerhays said...

Cool! I want to catch some too! The kids look thrilled!

Jess said...

How fun! I wish we would have had fireflies growing up, night games would have been so much more awesomer.

Carrie said...

ee hee hee! Fireflies were the ONLY thing I found that I liked in the mid-west our first year out there. They are SO AWESOME! So glad to see your fam. enjoying them. They are HF's gift to the mid-west. Seriously, magic bugs. and i like the pickle jar & the red-neck Christmas tree. :) :) :)