Friday, May 7, 2010

Pulling out the Big Guns

This week we went to the Rock Island Arsenal Museum. Rock Island Arsenal is a military base where they build weaponry (mostly ammunition and stuff). It's about 15 minutes away from our house and is on an island smack dab in the middle of the Mississippi river. We had to show our ID to a security guy, to get in, to be able to visit the museum, it was pretty awesome. When we where there they were bring a new gun in for display that was actually being built on the arsenal (first one since 1903) and that is actually being used over in Iraq. Big ol' black thing. Tony was drooling all over the place ;). It was a pretty cool place. They had walls filled with hundreds and hundreds, if not thousands, of guns that have been used by the US military.
Me and the kids in front of rocket launchers
Literally hundreds/thousands (this was Tony's kind of museum)
Emma checking out the weaponry.
Liam
Sooner than later, the kids got bored of looking at guns so we checked out what else they had to offer.
Like a dead horse from the early 1900's. It was falling apart but one of the kids favorite part.
Tony and the kids showing their muscles in front of a cannon
They had a lot of pretty cool cannons
They also had a room where you could dress up in different uniforms.
Liam and Emma sport the old school look :)
Fox in an awesome hat.
Liam and I
Tony and the kids in current uniform.
They are suppose to look mean in this one. (I think Emma pulls it off the best, LOL!!)
A Short drive away from the museum, they have a park that has all sorts of tanks and rocket launchers.
Fox and I in front of a big ol' Missel
Tony and the kids by Tony's favorite tank. (he said it looked the coolest because of all the barrels)
You could climb up on this tank. It was fired upon in a war (I can't remember which one), so the yellow on it shows all the damage. Pretty crazy.
And last but not least the BIG GUN. This sucker was the biggest they had to view. It can shoot up to 18 miles!! CRAZY!!
I didn't think I would be entertained at a museum all about guns, but it was actually pretty cool.

2 comments:

sisterwendy said...

Oh my- Iowa is just FULL of surprises!! Who would have known they have a gun/tank museum?! I think your dad would love seeing it! One more reason to come out and visit :) The kids still probably feel like they are on vacation!! Loved seeing you all and especially the kiddies :) They are growing so fast :( give them hugs from me xoxoxoxoxo

Lisa Summerhays said...

Fancy, fancy. I'd love to play dress up. Cute pics Kir!