Friday, September 23, 2011

Rainbow rice

So the other day I found this post on how to make rainbow rice by Share and Remember (actually I found it on pinterest, but I'll give them credit). I thought I looked fun and interesting so on a day when we were bored we decided to give it a try.
Emma chose purple and Fox "chose"(was suggested) blue (by Emma). I put two cups of rice in a ziplock bag, along with 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of rubbing alcohol and 10 drops of food coloring (Neon food coloring gives it the coolest look). Then shook those babies (the bags of rice, not the children) until all the color mixed in. Then we spread them out in pans and set them outside to dry. With the sun it only took about 15 minutes to dry.
Just be careful not to grab it when it's still wet (use a spoon or something to mix it) or the coloring might get under your wedding ring and leave you with a permanent blue wedding band...
Anywho, the kids LOVE it!! In fact, every time they've played with it, I've had to make them put it away, they haven't got bored of it yet. And I love it, because I let them play with it while I get things done and before I sweep, and then we bag up the rice and I do my sweeping. I get all the rice kernels that had fallen (mostly blue ;)) and we are done!! No play-doh getting stepped on and dragged through the house (carpet!)! Awesome!
The kids liked it so much that we had to make Liam some. He chose green.


Emma practices writing her letters in the rice. Fox loves to dump it from one thing to another, and they all love to take army guys and other small toys to hide in the "sand".


3 comments:

sisterwendy said...

Looks like a ton of fun!! What a fab mom you are. :)

sisterwendy said...

Whoops, just me (Lisa) at mom's house.

SOPHIE NY said...

i have this pinned on one of my boards and keep thinking it's way cool!

P.S. your chillins are getting much to big and grown up tell them to stop growing.

Love you guys!