Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pro-school: Christopher Columbus and meteors


Hello, this is my world map rug that I got from Big Lots. Isn't it awesome? I love it. I also got a Buzz Lightyear that has all of the planets and where they are from the sun on it. They are fantastic!
Anywho, okay, we learned about Christopher Columbus on Tuesday. We watched these video's


Which are both fantastic!

Here is our timeline we are making. We talked mostly Christopher Columbus, but also discussed the Vikings who most likely came before Christopher Columbus and Amerigo Vespucci who is most likely the person America is named after. (He discovered that the America's were a "new land" and not the Indies as Columbus had thought) There are a lot of "most likely" back in the day...;)


And then we did crafts. And my table ended up like this. And I'm thinking, 'why did I want to do this again?'

But they did make some pretty dang cute Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria's out of egg cartons. Directions here.

And then this is where I sway from my Pro-school plan...

Wednesday morning Liam asked me, "Mom, why do things start on fire when they come into the earth?" I said, "I don't know. Let's look it up." So we did. And we did our Wednesday pro-school about it. We read about the science behind why things burn up when they come into our atmosphere on the internet. Here. Here. and Here.

One of the reason meteors and such burn up is because of friction from air molecules. To understand this, we went outside got a stick and rubbed it as hard and as fast on the cement as we could. Then we quickly picked it up and felt how hot it got. It works.

I also made the mistake of finding an animated "meteor enters earth atmosphere" video on YouTube and didn't watch it before I showed the kids. It, of course, had the meteor hit the earth...which may have freaked my kids out a little bit....

Then I had them write about what we learned. Emma wrote new three words we learned about (with my help). And Liam wrote this. Translation below.

"If a meteor fell and was still in space, atmosphere would be around the earth."

"So the meteor starts on fire, then the meteor crashes into earth. The End."

Darn YouTube clip.

No comments: