example 1. I found a receipt in Tony's pocket for a meal at Wendy's for $5.88. $5.88 is not very much money but when you have to feed three kids and yourself (because you never go to Wendy's without your children), you tend to go for the dollar menu. I can't even remember the last time I got a "meal" at Wendy's. I can feed all four of us on $5.88. I know. I've done it before. (note: I know this is extremely petty, and most days I could careless, tomorrow I'll be over it, but today...)
Example 2. Dora the Explorer. I hate that darn show. Seriously? A show in which the only way the main characters communicate is through yelling, and they can't come up with lyrics better than "I'm the map, I'm the map (repeated over and over and over)"? I'm pretty sure this show is a conspiracy to make the kids dumber than to teach them anything.
It's been one of those days. Really, usually these things don't bother me that much, but not so much today. So I've decided to write a few cute things the kids have done lately and see if that makes me feel any better.
Liam-
Liam has become my tv watching buddy, which is awesome. Some of the newest shows I have introduced him to are Labyrinth (who doesn't love David Bowie and muppets?...well, Emma for one), and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Awesome? I think, yes! Bad parenting? Possibly, but for today, at least, I could care less.
Emma-
Emma saw Tony eating some pistachios and asked if she could try one. He obliged and gave her one still in the shell. As she pulled off the shell she exclaimed, "So these are what you make guacamole out of!!"
After church on Sunday I asked Emma what she had learned about in class. She replied, "Daniel and the lion's dentist."
I'm pretty sure that that is the sequel to Daniel and the lion's den.... :)
Fox-
Oh what could you not love about this kid (except for the constant runny nose and crying from teething. Just be done coming in teeth!! Geez!!) At the age of 15, almost 16 months, he is the biggest tease in the family, which is saying a lot for this family. He loves his dad and every time Tony gets home he gleefully cries out "Dada!!" Which hit a small jealousy button (okay, large) in me, so I tried to teach him Mama. I would, in my nicest mom voice, say, "Fox, say Mama." He would then give me a sly smile and very purposefully say, in his nicest son voice, "Da--daaaa." After a few attempts I got discourage. Tony seeing my discouragement (and crumpled hopes and dreams), gave it his best shot, "Say Mama." Fox then smiled at me and replied, "Dada." Tony, in his brilliancy, got some cheese and bribed him, "Fox say Mama." Fox will do anything for food. He then replied, "Baabaa." Close enough.
As long as we have food he will answer "baabaa." (For the record, he knows how to say Mama). No food and we get a sly smile and "Dada."
Hmmm. I think it worked. It may be that my kids are now in bed, but I feel better already ;)
5 comments:
Welcome to my life... :) I HATE DORA! and I might hate Diego even more. Plus, I already speak Spanish, and I can teach my kids how to say Hola, Ariba, and other dumb words.
Grrr, Josh does that too. Really, your out spending 10$ on Thai without me and using our date night money to pay for it? Bugs. Dora bugs more.
William won't repeat anything you ask him to say. He just looks at you like, "what?"
Dear Kira, Of coarse I will totally validate your feelings of frustration. They are petty and silly and OF COARSE very valid. I'm pretty sure we've all had those same thoughts at some time. I love your Emme's way of looking at life, guacamole from pistachios I could handle that. And Daniel and the dentist just made me laugh out loud! Oh how I miss your family!
Kira, Kira, Kira- hahahahahahaha! I'm sure you don't remember the days when I would think- someday, this will be over and my kids will be grown ups and I miss this. I'm still not to the missing part of some of life yet, but I've totally been where you are! Except not Dora, but Mr. Rogers or "Robin Hood" (or Samori Pizza Cats or Big Comfy Couch or Barney or Polka Dot Door or Mickey Mouse presents or Thundercats or etc. etc. etc.) for the 1000th time. and Buffy wouldn't have been introduced until at least 10 years old and then only select shows :) but of course, my kids were raised on mongees :) xoxoxox
I'm feeling so much better that I'm not the only person who freaks out when they see fast food/gas station receipts. What I can't figure out is after 5 years of marriage how come Chris hasn't figured out how to keep me from finding them!
Post a Comment