Monday, December 17, 2012

Hope and Prayer

I just dropped my kids off at school. I hugged and kissed them and I was okay. Until I started to drive away. I cried.

After reading about the shootings that happened in the elementary school in Connecticut on Friday I cried. I think that any parent who read about that incident cried and were horrified and sickened at the horrendous acts that occurred.

But I thought I was going to be okay today. In fact, I didn't even think about it until my children left my sight and I was no longer in control. And thats when I cried.

I hope that I have taught them well enough. I hope I have portrayed and instilled in them a faith in Jesus Christ. I hope that it has been driven home that should they ever be afraid or sad, they can pray and receive comfort. I hope I have raised them so that should a tragedy or disaster occur, they will be able, through Christ, to be a beacon of light, a proclaimer of hope, and a giver of peace to others around them.

I have an opinion on gun control. But this tragedy did not make me turn to that, or want to push an agenda. It showed me just how important teaching my children true principals are. It made me see how urgently I should help them to learn all they can of Christ and his gospel. Because when it comes right down to it, guns or no guns, things are going to happen. People are going to get hurt or die through natural disasters, human error, and human stupidity or wickedness.

How important is it to teach my kids to be more. To be above that. To know there is a God, and through his son all man kind can be saved. That they can know how to receive comfort when comfort is required, and that they can walk uprightly before him. That is my hope and prayer. That I have and can continue to teach them of Christ.

So will I pull my kids from school and homeschool? No. I have thought of homeschooling before and may consider it in the future. But if I homeschool it will not be out of fear. Fear has no grounds when faced with the light of Christ.

8 comments:

Just SO said...

<3 Kira, you are an amazing mother. And I am sure that your children know of Christ...it shines through in their faces. Just as it shines through yours.

Jess said...

You are the best Kira! I really needed the reminder that fear has nothing to do with Christ. Thank you for making my morning so much better.

Shauna said...

THAT is what makes ALL the difference, Kira--for our kids and for each of us. What a different world it would be if EVERYONE knew and lived His Gospel. Hugs and prayers to you and to all those who were affected by this senseless act. Maybe the good that will come out if this tragedy (kids begin hugged more, families staying together more, volunteers and teachers caring about children more, etc.) will take some of the sting of it away....someday.

Sunshine said...

So well said Kira. I think about the comment made a few years ago by one of our prophets...paraphrased... 'How would we ever dare to send our children out the door without first having prayer with them and asking the Lord to protect them, calling down the protection of heaven upon their heads' he was talking about spiritual dangers as well as physical dangers. I'm so glad you are teaching my grandchildren of Christ.

Sunshine said...

So well said Kira. I think about the comment made a few years ago by one of our prophets...paraphrased... 'How would we ever dare to send our children out the door without first having prayer with them and asking the Lord to protect them, calling down the protection of heaven upon their heads' he was talking about spiritual dangers as well as physical dangers. I'm so glad you are teaching my grandchildren of Christ.

Jess said...

You are one amazing person! Thanks for sharing!

sisterwendy said...

:') can't type. can't see xoxoxoxo

Jess said...

So the second comment from me is really from my mom. She didn't realize she was signed in as me and couldn't figure out how to change it :)